Friday, November 2, 2007

it's official

This morning, I had an interview at a tiny little agency where I quickly realized I wouldn't want to work. It was a short meeting. He looked at my book, we asked each other several questions, then we shook hands & I headed to the elevator.

It's one of those buildings where the elevator opens right into the office, so I stood directly in front of the receptionist, trying to fight the urge to whip out my phone & call the recruiter who sent me there & ask her to let the guy I'd just met with down gently.

When the elevator doors opened, a guy got off & I got on. I guess he realized that wasn't the floor he wanted, so he hopped back on. I'd already pressed the 1st floor button & looked at him to press or request. That was when I saw the look -- the one that tells me he'd like me to hit the stop button so we can have some quality time to get to know each other -- so I turned back to look at the door.


Of course, he took that as his cue to strike up the conversation, "Wow. Well, it is official." Which, damn my neck, elicited a turn of my head. So he continued. "Your hair color is o-ficial!" Now it was time to respond defensively, "Excuse me?" "It's official! Your hair color is official -- that's a good thing, believe me!" "Oh, great, well as long as you approve." ('Cause that's my new response to that line of back-handed compliment.)

Then just before the doors opened, in what I can only imagine is his "bedroom voice," he said, "I bet Monday, it'll be back to all blonde, right." So I gave him a look of disgust & said, "Yeah, this is not a Halloween costume. It's always like this." and walked out of the elevator.

And the father of 5 of my future babies was gone -- just like that.

5 comments:

*Bitch Cakes* said...

Wow. What a d!ck. Seriously. I can't believe some of the crap perfect strangers are willing to spill out of their mouths.

Miss Dewey Decimal said...

dude, we all know you're a poser. you'll probably show up on wednesday with brown hair and a sweater set. just kidding. i heart your hair. too bad you let that hunk of manhood get away.

fifi said...

The crap I hear from people about my hair color never ceases to amaze me, but even this guy doesn't compare with "creepy smoking guy on the corner." That guy is dedicated to asshole comments!

I should totally come to class in a sweater set & brunette hausfrau wig one of these days. I'd never get out of the gym alive, but it'd be all kinds of fun 'n' games.

cherie said...

what a prick. it always surprises me when people think they comment on shit like that. its like saying "so are your tits real?" Isn't it funny when you interview how you can tell right off you don't like the person interviewing you or their agency. Don't you worry you little pink-haired chica, some little agency will someday call you their own. Ooh, I found an STD related halloween cartoon in the local paper, I'm going to find it...I know you'd approve.

fifi said...

OMG -- an STD-related Halloween cartoon?! That's herptastic!

Soooo, um...are your tits real? ;)