Tuesday, November 6, 2007

some local not really news: of course it happened on long island

There are so many reasons not to go to Long Island (sorry, Dewey Decimal Mistress, but we all know it's true). There's the long-ass commute from the city by car or train, the accents, the "Long Island-ness" &, of course, malls. But now, good people, the malls are getting worse, in a very laughable way.

According to NYC's ABC affiliate, "Police are issuing a warning to holiday shoppers after two women were nearly robbed and then were shot with a BB gun at a Long Island mall."

Seriously. Shot with a BB gun. At the mall. Green Acres, no less. Isn't that, according to Eddie Albert & the kind people of Hooterville, "the place to be"?

Now, if you go to the link above & check out the still of the video, you'll notice a few things.
1) the young ladies chose to hide their facial identities, but not their nail identities -- in this day & age, that's like posting a Google Earth closeup of you in your front window on your MySpace page. The danger is palpable. As we speak, Al Queda & Microsoft are developing technology to either bomb or market directly to you based on your nail salon choices.
2) the time stamp on the clip is 5:05, which means this was one of the top stories during last night's newscast. Now, I'm not a professional journalist, but I do question if this story is first-five-minute-newsworthy.
3) t-mobile finally got the free advertising it so deserved

It only gets better when you read the report.

"That's when he had pulled out a gun," she said. "He didn't point it at my face, around my waste (sic), my chest, and was like, 'Just give me your phone.' And I still put up a fight."

The most delightful cynical lady working next door to the mall said about the sound of gunfire, "God forbid it was the real thing."


But the saddest thing of all? It took 3 guys to not pull this off.

So who's up for a little shopping trip?

8 comments:

*Bitch Cakes* said...

I want to see it- the link didn't bring me anywhere. Can you repost it?

I really despise LI. Even more so than New Jersey.

fifi said...

Okay, try again to see if the link's working now. It should take you to 7online.com & point you straight to the page with the story & video.

I know -- me too! I mean, I'll go to Jersey for a party, a roller derby bout, or to go to the Shore. But it's much more difficult to see myself going to Long Island for the same things -- even the derby! By the way, I have to post on it yet, but the LI derby girls were in town against the Gotham Girls on Saturday. They were cart oxen. Seriously, enormous girls on wheels.

*Bitch Cakes* said...

I'm just a spaz. I was clicking on the title of your blog, and not the "ABC" link.

So ABC used the wrong version of "waste"?!

And correct me if I'm wrong, but did I *not* see a butt crack? I think she was pulling down the back of her pants to show off a lodged BB!

fifi said...

What a spaz! ;)

Yeah, our local ABD affiliate apparently thinks a "waste" is that thing between the boobies & hips.

Nope, not butt crack -- arm crack. She was showing of her gunshot wound to the shoulder.

I wonder if it was a Daisy BB gun....

HollyMay said...

Oh my God E X C L U S I V E ...two girls shot with toy gun is soooo worth pushing the exclusive button. I gotta get some of those nails to go with my new sidekick but how to get the thing out of my skinny jeans pocket with my new nails is beyond me. I do not watch local news. Those people are robots. It frightens me. I love NY, just not much of it too far outside of Manhattan.

fifi said...

Today's local news led with a story in Finland & a story in Florida. I don't think they understand the meaning of local.

Those nails are hot, though, ri-eeet?

cherie said...

I was shot with a b.b. gun in highschool. that shit hurts. i went to long island for ikea. both places are overrated.

fifi said...

True, getting shot with a BB gun isn't like getting shot with kittens. I'd say it's closer to getting shot with a paintball gun & I've been hit by plenty of those.

Hell, it's worth moving west to flee both Ikea & Long Island. ;)