Friday, November 9, 2007

things realized while staring at the backs of my eyelids


1) yep, a large cup of coffee consumed more than 12 hours prior (& made me shaky all day) can keep me from falling asleep & yes, it takes more than 1 mg of melatonin to combat it,
2) the music from "West Side Story," which was on public radio when I finally decided to get back out of the bed, sounds magical in a dark room, but is not sleep-inducing,
3) men never stop farting. Ever.
4) And, there really is nothing on TV worth staying up for these days, especially with all the writers on strike -- "We want residuals that are fair & when we get 'em, we'll go back on the air!"

So I think what this means is I'm gonna have to start the incredibly painful process of weening myself off caffeine, which is just a gateway weening for carbonated drinks altogether -- just in time for holidays that I'll face sober for only the 2nd time in my post-pubescent years. Hopefully by doing so, though, I can avoid all kinds of delightful caffeine-induced-faux-and-not-so-faux-infarctions in the next couple of decades, unlike my people before me.

Congratulations, my friends, you're all in store for the best me ever. COMPLETELY drug-free, damn it.

5 comments:

HollyMay said...

I know people outside your actual person aren't as astute about the you that you are being but may I point out that aside from caffeinated drinks, you may also be stressed and at a bit of a crossroads.

This time period, if you let it, can reconnect you with your nature though sometimes uncomforatble, and will allow for more creative thinking. This thinking, meditating for some, may keep you from sleeping. When this happens, it's best not to engage it in battle but make quick use of it...which I see you did by blogging.

My last words then, are to not fret but to flow.

fifi said...

I'm truly at a stressful crossroads, & I am taking every advantage to make full use of it. I've been more prolific in the last few months than I have been in years, with so many writing burners going at once, not to mention my myriad non-writing projects, another one of which I'm starting today (thanks to the insomnia for the idea).

But I have to attribute some, at least, to the caffeine. Yesterday was the first day I'd had coffee in a few days & I was awake until almost 4 am. I might as well quit caffeine -- it's really doing nothing for me except hijacking my hormones & taking a bat to my energy levels.

cherie said...

Giving up caffeine is a great idea actally. When I was slaving for Starbucks, I decided to fully give it up. I had migraines for like 2 months. Coffee wreaks havoc on the whole hunger thing. And yes, it totally heightens the whole stress thing. P.S. Good point on the men farting thing, I've also noticed they take very offensive poos. I don't get it, we ate the same thing, mine doesn't smell like that!

Miss Dewey Decimal said...

how do you not drink? i think i need to give up alcohol. but i don't drink caffeine. so i might need to start drinkking caffeine because i'll need at least one vice.

fifi said...

Yeah, in the last two years, I've quit smoking & drinking, lowered my cheese intake & started working out regularly. And now I'm gonna give up caffeine & most likely, carbonated drinks too? It's crazy, I tell ya.

But it's okay, 'cause I still eat meat, I still fry foods occasionally & I still bake & eat my sweet wares (& others'). Plus I still kill hobos for shits & giggles.