Tuesday, January 15, 2008

thank you notes: the toughest job in writing

They're the unsung heroes of the job search, the wedding scene and the newly graduated. Yeah, great thank you notes are hard to find, harder still to write. You have to gush without gushing, praise without pandering or condescending, reference specifics only the thanked will understand. There's a secret code to it all; it's both a science and an art form.

Just this morning, I sent out one of my very own -- a thank you note for a job interview at a dream agency and a CD (Creative Director, for you non-ad-types) for whom I really want to work. Hell, I may even ache for this. So this note had a big job to do. I literally dreamed about it & woke up writing it. I'll keep you posted on how it fairs.

Now, please enjoy my Thank You to Gary at TBWA/Chiat/Day:


I feel sorry for this thank you note, really. It bears the heavy burden of great desire, and knows that it'll probably never up to the expectations of its creator. That's a lot of pressure. In the immortal words of the great Glenn Frey, "The heat is on."

Ask anyone who knows me -- disruption is in my very nature. It could even be said that I was born for the job. Every fiber of my being strives to challenge opinions and create new standards. Is she a -happy-homemaking-how-was-your-day-dear-stitching-
stiletto-wearing-pink-adoring-girlie-girl, or is she a jeans-t-shirt-combat-boots-
wearing-muscle-car-gearhead-red-meat-and-football-loving-rough-and-tumble-tough-
enough-for-roller-derby-and-then-some-tomboy? Maybe no one will ever know the full extent. But who am I to fight nature?

All I know is, opportunities like this -- to be there in the beginning, lighting a fire that'll lead an entire industry out of the dark ages -- well, they don't come around everyday. Full disclosure: I'm grabbing this one. Yep, I've got it bad for this job, and I'm ready when you are. Thanks for seeing the spark in me, and thanks for carving out so much time for me yesterday. I hope the feeling's mutual.


UPDATE: Yes, the feeling IS mutual -- I start freelancing at one of the best ad shops in the world on Tuesday!! Hoot, holler, congratulate me, people!

8 comments:

*Bitch Cakes* said...

This is so exciting! I am freaking out for you!!!

*Bitch Cakes* said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
fifi said...

I can't believe you removed your 1st comment!

I'm equally freaking out & will let you know as soon as anything happens.

HollyMay said...

Great note. Hope you get it then get me in there. A coup!

*Bitch Cakes* said...

I removed it because I'm such a tard that I posted a comment I meant for Librarian Michelle's blog (re: a very sexy my little pony) in YOUR blog comments.

So now you know.

I'm a tard.

I tried to cover my tardness with the deletion but you had to call me out on it! Stupid sexy pony.

fifi said...

Thanks, HollyMay,
Keep your freshly-tanned fingers crossed (I assume the tan, since you're in Rio). I can't even believe the possibility myself, but if it happens, you can bet your sweet ass I'll work to get your sweet ass in there too! Curious about what's happening in your other realm of possibility.

Bitch Cakes,
I know, I read your first comment & thought it was hilariously perfect here too.

JJ Kimmel said...

WOW! Very, very cool. Way to go Simon! Whoohoo! I'm so excited for you. Does this mean you are going to be mega-rich now and have your own reality show? I hope so. I want to hear all about it.

I still owe you a phone call. For the past few days I have had a severe case of di-di. Did I really just say that in your comments?? Yes I did.

When are you and the man coming out for more skiing?? How about tomorrow?

fifi said...

Jamie, I also cannot believe you admitted diarrhea so proudly in these comments. I, on the other hand, have been incredibly regular, in case you were wondering.

Filthy rich? Yes. Reality show? Oh, I hope not.

Skiing needs to happen again very, very soon. Or at least a visit & a meet-n-greet with little Mama Kass!