Wednesday, January 2, 2008

still sayin' no in '08

As many of you already know, I'm not a big fan of social networking sites. I've poo-pooed MySpace & Friendster for years, assuring my loved ones that our friendships would survive without them.


And the years went on without anyone dying catastrophically from my missing presence on Dogster, Catster & Bebo. A few "friendships" died along the way, not casualties of my choosing not to join their trusted network of friends on Reunion or Classmates, but of my not wanting fake people cluttering up my inbox with spam & my address book with their important information. Miss Missouri's phone numbers & birthday? Delete.

But I'd still get razzed occasionally to conform. "Join the cult, Carol Anne. Just come toward the light. Then we can poke each other on Facebook." My response to which is, "We can poke each other at dinner next week, but I'm not signing up for yet another site where I can waste even more time online."

The weirdest plea came from a still unknown source, because I refused to sign up for the service just to read the goddamned profile of whoever sent me the following message, "daviso hates you! Join him to take over the world! Everybody loves to hate -- hate with him on Hatebook." Clearly, you can see. My interest was seriously piqued. Whose wouldn't be? But all the hate in the world still wasn't enough to pressure me into signing up & giving someone else more e-access to my life, friends, opinions & marketability as a female, living with partner, aged 25-34.

Granted, I joined Flickr so I could share photos with ease (check out my latest additions) & LinkedIn so I could network for work (anyone got a job I can have?), but that's where I've drawn the line. Last week alone, I received three new invitations -- two to join Spock & one to join Plaxo Pulse. I've never even heard of these nonsensical online locales, but I'm guessing one is for Star Trek fans & the bigger geeks who love them (yeah, totally sounds like me) & the other is for people with heart conditions & the people who go bankrupt to care for them (thanks for no universal health love, big pharma/private healthcare assholes).


All I know is -- I'm not signing up.

And until I get a REALLY good, legitimate reason for signing up for your favorite way to pass the time online, just leave me off the invite list. I won't be setting up any profiles today, thank you.

4 comments:

*Bitch Cakes* said...

I don't blame you, poodle-kins. I'm on the 'space and the 'book, but I don't spend too much time there anymore. The problem is ALL my blogs are on myspace. I may have to move them all over here eventually. (that's another fun project I can add to my list after I finish my big Photo Project)

fifi said...

Thanks, kitten!

I noticed you added oodles of pics recently -- does Michael pay you as the official SIT & Die photog?

Miss Dewey Decimal said...

i wish we could be friends on the space. virtual friendship means so much more than our actual hanging-out-in-real-life-friendship. i guess i'll just poke you in the physical world (eeew, that sounds dirty).

fifi said...

And I'll...uh...poke you back, DDM. I'll wear gloves.