Tuesday, October 14, 2008

and just like that, i'm a jeerleader

Yes, my friends, the mood's been heavy lately. But in the midst of all the loss, the man & I managed to miss only one Gotham Girls Roller Derby bout all season. But we did make it to the latest bout, September 27th, an amazing double-header. The Brooklyn Bombshells barely edged past the bilingual all-star gals of Montreal Roller Derby, the New Skidz on the Block, & had the crowd on our feet, screaming, clapping & stomping ('cause that makes the most noise). Then the Manhattan Mayhem beat the living snot outta the Rhode Island Riveters of Providence Roller Derby.

While there, I was recruited by my friends in the world-famous Gotham Girls Jeerleaders to become a member of the hottest group of pom-pom-toting bitches in the Big Bad Apple. Come next season, yours truly will be trackside as one of Manhattan's Jailhouse Rockettes.


Now, some of you might ask, "Why Manhattan? Why not Brooklyn, you treasonous lech?" Well, because my friend Lizzie Warden claimed me for her very own, & how, my friends, could I fight someone named Lizzie Warden?

Some others of you might ask, "Why a Jeerleader & not a skater? I thought you wanted to be a rollergirl." Well, yeah. Even a year ago, I would've said "Hell yeah, I'm gonna be a rollergirl!" But after trying out & being rejected twice, I started playing soccer to get in prime condition & enjoy the camaraderie of a team sport in the meantime. Turns out, I really dig it & I get plenty hurt (just check out my bruises of the week) kicking balls & ass on McCarren's soccer fields every Friday night. Hell, I even got stitches (about which I really meant to blog)!

So Fifi Fleshwound might never skate on the flat-track, but I will be an official member of the supporting cast next season. If you haven't yet been initiated into the wonderful world of women's flat-track roller derby, or if you've got a hankerin' for another fun- & blood-filled bout, the Championship Bout between the Bronx Gridlock & the Queens of Pain is October 25th. If you can't make that bout, you'll have to wait for next season when you'll get a load of my fantastic jeering skills along with the uber-amazing action of the derby.

In the meantime, I have to come up with a sexy, bad-ass Jeerleader name -- preferably with Fifi, of course, but I'm open to any suggestion. So, help me out with a jeering moniker & earn my undying devotion. Do it. Do it now.

7 comments:

Miss Dewey Decimal said...

yeah! i can't wait to cheer for you as you jeer!

*Bitch Cakes* said...

congrats, poodle! I am terrible with coming up with names. In fact, if I had to come up with a name I would probably go to YOU first!

Fifi Ferocious?

I'll keep thinking...

fifi said...

Yay -- thanks for the support, Team Sexy!

The name's gonna be difficult--it's branding me, ya know. The key is something jail-related, since I'll be a Jailhouse Rockette, jeering for the Mayhem (who wear Rikers Orange).

HollyMay said...

what's wrong with the fleshwound family name? we travelled far and are quite proud of the family heritage! but fine, go off in your modern world, changing the precious family name.

i might suggest then, Fifi Flipant.

love,

sister fleshwound

fifi said...

It not like I got my nose fixed...the Fleshwound name will live on for a long time, just not on my jeerleader uniform. It doesn't have a very jailhouse ring to it, does it?

Don't be sad. Be creative.

Unknown said...

How about Fifi Folsom as in 'Folsom prison blues'? I'm afraid that's the best I can do...

fifi said...

That is delightful, Pippa (& welcome to the fleshwound!). I'm diggin' the alliteration -- sticks in the brain. I just got a similar suggestion via email: Folsom Prison Blueballs.