Thursday, December 27, 2007

my good night's sleep's keeping me up nights

Mere weeks ago, my life changed for the better. Napoleon & Pedro moved out. That's right, the man & I somehow managed to outlive the uber-loud hipsters. I even helped hold doors open for them, 'cause that's just who I am.

The following week, NYC's Access-A-Ride drivers went on strike. What could that possibly mean for me? Well, as some of you know, across the street from our apartment is an adult day-care center, which I lovingly refer to as "the tard farm." (Letters of hate may be sent directly to me. I don't care. I'm not censoring myself & you know I'm not a hatah. It just sounds funny.) Every weekday morning, beginning as early as 6-ish, buses line up to drop people off for the day. Now, apparently, none of the bus companies, including the Access-A-Ride people, have ever heard of walkie-talkies or cell phones. So every morning when the buses pull up across the street, they announce their arrival by laying on their horns, repeating as many times as necessary. They just don't stop. Ever.

All of a sudden, I found myself without nighttime/early morning disturbances -- well, except for the cat, but he's another story entirely. He still gets up between 5:30 & 7:30 to eat, drink & go potty, but now, I'm able to go back to sleep after filling his bowl & turning on his water & nightlight.

The honking has stopped, or at least it's not happening at the crack of shut-the-hell-up anymore. And with Napoleon & the President gone, there's no more door creaking & slamming next to our bedroom in the middle of the night. No more obscene-hours-new-album-cranking.

It's like heaven.

But the silence has shattered. The landlord & his mistress have begun fixing the place up for the next potential tenant, which wouldn't be nearly so loud without their toddler in tow. God only knows what they're doing across the hall for the 4+ hours they're here everyday, but it's driving me nuts. The love-child runs up & down the railroad, just like our cat does, only he weighs at least 20 pounds more than the kitty & runs on his heels. Oh & he's not our cat, who's adorable some of the time he does these laps. When he's not pounding his way up & down the apartment, he's wailing. Have I mentioned our walls are paper-thin?



Then a couple of days ago, a chill made its way up my spine when I mentioned to the man, "Man, I hope he's not getting it ready for them to move in. I don't think I can take living next door to a toddler. Since I brought that terror up, I haven't been able to sleep. I lie down and bolt back upright, sweating & shaking with the fear of the possible menace that is my landlord's love-toddler, throwing temper tantrums in such close proximity. I mean, I can't even take a few hours of that. What would I do if that's what I came home to everyday? If every night were filled with terrible twos? There are reasons we don't have children, people, and this is one of them. We're selfish for wanting a relaxing, quiet space.

So, now I beg of you. We need good, respectful, infant- & toddler-free tenants to move in next door. He's using a broker for the situation & asking a butt-load for Greenpoint, but I'm begging. If you or someone you love is looking for a fabulous new apartment, won't you please? Won't you please? Please, won't you be my neighbor?

4 comments:

*Bitch Cakes* said...

I was in that same position earlier this summer- my next door neighbors moved out (THANK GOD- THEY HAD 3 HORRIBLE SCREAMING GIRL TODDLERS!) and the ladies above me moved out- all at the same time.

This meant the house was quiet- except for the constant banging, and renovation of the workers. And the roaches. Did I mention the roaches? I never once, in my 15 months there saw a single roach. Since they renovated I *still* occasionally see them.

And then there was the fear of "who the hell is moving in?!"

I got VERY lucky in both regards- young mid western looking *quiet* couples both next to me and above me.

I wish you the same luck.

Minus the roaches.

PS "Tard farm"?! You, dear woman, are a genius! I love it!!!

fifi said...

I know, Bitch Cakes, I'm desperate to experience the same wonderful luck you've experienced with your new neighbs! Thank god we haven't had an influx of bugs, though. I was more worried about bugs from Napoleon & Pedro, since they were such piggies.

Let's all just keep our fingers crossed.

(And I'm glad you like "tard farm." It makes me giggle just to say it.

HollyMay said...

Maybe the kid will eat some lead paint but that doesn't kill does it? Just makes 'em stupid-er which in turn, makes for more tantrums because the thing won't understand that daddy has to leave the house to go to work but that he'd return just like yesterday...and oh the setting of the scare ball will just send the tard into the depths of horror...each and every day. They'd send it over across the street to scream in panic at the horns of the buses that he'll mistakenly get on and end up out in Whatthefuck, NY on the side of the interstate, picked up by a creepy guy in a white pick up truck who'll teach it how to keep the lips sealed while he's out delivering pizzas and looking for school buses. At least the screams will be finally muted. Finally.

fifi said...

Hahaha -- "scare ball." As always, HollyMay, your comments bring a high-concept smile to my face & wry, witty giggle to my voicebox & belly.

Three days in a row now. I may have to report for "Meeeehhhh!" across the street myself in the New Year.