Monday, May 21, 2007

abundant sunshine on my shoulder


In case you hadn't noticed, I was really unhappy at my last freelance gig. The Creative Director was a complete douchebag & the place was sliding quickly down the bowl of an enormous toilet in flush mode. As luck would have it, I was emancipated almost two weeks ago. The CD said they just didn't have enough work & money to keep two writers on staff, so he let me go & kept the poor guy who was struggling through his second day. Soon enough, he'll join the frustrated copywriters' guild.

It's not exactly an exclusive group. There are frustrated writers everywhere -- fantastic writers, stifled by narrow constraints, untrusting superiors and a lack of vision. Every day, I see more proof, especially online. Take, for instance, this example from weather.com. Looks to me like someone was sick & tired of describing conditions as merely "sunny," "cloudy" or "raining." It's abundantly clear to me that someone's unhappy.

That's why this time, I'm taking it easy. I'm not going to be pressured into taking a job just to work. This time, I'm going to be much pickier & get what I want, instead of just a paycheck & a daily sense of dread.

3 comments:

cherie said...

while i admire your abundant ability to be selective about your work, do you feel that sometimes you need to take a job to the pay bills? Or does freelancing help with that? and i definitely think we all need to go to coney to experience the fear that is cyclone.

fifi said...

I sometimes feel the pressure to take a job for the money, but I saved really smartly for the last several months. So as long as I don't go nuts shopping or spending like a mad hatter, I can afford to be selective. For a few months. Life's just too short to spend my time at a job I hate. That's enough reason to hold out.

The Cyclone is waiting for us. It looked great silhouetted in the dark sky yesterday.

cherie said...

Update this shit!